40 Before 40
In October I will turn 40 and last year I wrote this list of 40 things I wanted to do before I am 40. I seem to have been making rather slow progress, so I thought I would post the list up here to keep me motivated and inspired to make these things happen.
I still have two things to add, so I would love some suggestions in the comments please!
1. Visit A Flower Farm
2. Return to New York - hooray I did this one last May as part of my book tour.
3. Climb a mountain (I have climbed mountains before but haven't climbed one since having my children)
4. Run a half marathon (yikes!) - I have now done this. Hooray!
5. Learn to weave - Workshop booked! And enjoyed!
6. Publish a book - DONE!
7. Write an article for a magazine - DONE!
8. Have a make-up lesson - I am really looking forward to booking a lesson in with the lovely Katy.
9. Make Imogen and Rudi a dress each - I'm going to use this book to help with these!
10. Banish the clutter - I am on a big mission with this one at the moment. Marie Kondo's new book is really helping me with this one. She has even signed my copy when she came to shoot a video at my studio!
11. Run a Makelight Retreat - this is booked for the weekend before I turn 40, so it will probably be the last one I tick off the list! If you would like to join me for this special event, you can reserve your place now.
12. Swim in the sea - I swam in the sea many times in my 20s but for some reason haven't been in it (apart from a few paddles!) during my 30s. I've missed it! DONE Mission accomplished in Cap Breton last Summer. It was just as wonderful as I remember. Whenever I am stressed out or need to do some deep relaxation diving in the sea is always where my mind takes me.
13. Go skiing - I had hoped to squeeze in our first family ski trip before my 40th but that is now booked for next February. So, this one will need to be on an indoor slope instead. Still plenty of fun I am sure!
14. Write book two - I am writing this now and I am aiming to finish it before I am 40 but I will publish it when I am 40!
15. Get to 75K followers on Instagram (my @emilyquinton account) - I am at 67k at the moment. **Update...I have achieved this**
16. Learn modern calligraphy
17. Take my big girl to Paris - all booked for next month. I really can't - Done and it was wonderful!
18. Learn to code (something)
19, Host a Summer evening garden party
20. Create a mini vegetable garden
21. Speak at a conference - all booked to speak at The Hive in April. I hope to see some of you there.
22. Write 40 handwritten letters to friends and family
23. Make another patchwork quilt
24. Have breakfast at the Shard with my boys
25. Go to the cinema (without the children!!) - how have we not done this in the past 5 years? We even have a cinema at the end of the road!
26. Read 6 books (from cover to cover)
27. Go to a festival with my children - we have booked the tickets.
28. Go to Scandinavia - I am off to Copenhagen with my Mum for a weekend. Really excited about this one! - Done and it was wonderful xo
29. Letterpress my own design
30. Learn how to make my own pattern
31. 3D print something I have designed
32. Have afternoon tea at Claridge's
33. Plant a David Austin rose - I have done this one! My Mum kindly sent me the Poet's Wife for Christmas. I can't wait for it to flower in the Summer.
34. Go out dancing with some old friends - We did it and it was so much fun!
35. Learn to cook something new and amazing
36. Enjoy a spa day with friends
37. Have my teeth straightened. I am in the middle of this one and my braces will come off just before my birthday. I'm so happy with how it's all going so far.
38. Learn to carve a spoon - Stef and I are going to this weekend in July. I can't wait!
So, I have two empty spaces ready for suggestions from you! Leave a comment below if you have an idea for me. I would love to hear them.